who we are
The Canterbury Umbrella Centre is a charity Community Centre that is open to everybody, and particularly provides support to people with mental health problems.
Umbrella is located in a purpose built centre designed as a place where people can come and feel welcomed and supported.
The community building was opened in October 1992. On the ground floor it has a large meeting and community area, plus a fully fitted kitchen which enables the centre to provide a café service. Upstairs is the Rotary Room – a large games area with pool and table tennis and a computer suite.
The Service provides support and stimulation in a planned and responsive way. Members are encouraged to become involved with the running and planning of the Centre and are represented on the Board.
We encourage and support our members to reconnect through various avenues.
The Centre incorporates activities and programmes that promote good health and mental well-being.
- Provide a safe and stimulating environment conducive to recovery.
- Provide an accessible service to all members of our community.
- Promote and facilitate social inclusion.
- Discourage dependence and facilitate re-integration into the community.
- Provide support and guidance
- Promote skills and independence.