Who we are
The Canterbury Umbrella is a non-profit charity Community Centre that is open to everybody, and particularly provides support to people with mental health problems.
Umbrella is located in a purpose built centre designed as a place where people can come and feel welcomed and supported.
We are ideally situated next to Westgate Gardens.
The community Hub was opened in October 1992. On the ground floor we have the Social Health kitchen,offering a clean 5 star rated dining area with a separate comfortable seating area.
Upstairs we have the Umbrella Hub which offers a comprehensive health and well-being programme. Our activities included Art, Yoga, Keep fit and group discussions.
Our Service provides support and stimulation in a planned and responsive way. Members are encouraged to become involved with the running and planning of the Centre and are represented on the Board.
We encourage and support our members to reconnect through various avenues.
The Centre incorporates activities and programmes that promote good health and mental well-being.
- Provide a safe and stimulating environment conducive to recovery.
- Provide an accessible service to all members of our community.
- Promote and facilitate social inclusion.
- Discourage dependence and facilitate re-integration into the community.
- Provide support and guidance
- Promote skills and independence.